Tuesday, December 21, 2010

We did it!

Hey all! I haven't been around for a while. I've been kind of pre-occupied with our new addition to the Campbell house! Yes! He's here! And oh my god how much do we love him? I don't remember what my life was like before Angus came along. He's just so precious. I've never known love like this. It's amazing!

Here's the story. I went along on a friday to my usual antenatal check up and yet another scan to check his size. They were keeping an eye on him because of the few issues I had throughout my pregnancy. So I had my scan and all looked well. Or so I thought. The sonographer went and got the head guy to come in and double check her measurments and he noticed that my placenta had basically stopped doing it's job.So bub was 36 weeks size.He said bub had to come out asap. So I ended up consulting with the head of special obstetrics and he was fantastic. He told me I needed to be induced that night or the following. So off we went home to wait for the phone call to go back in for my induction. On the way home we thought we'd do groceries so off we went. Half way through grocery shopping we got the phone call to ask us to go back that night. So we went home and I showered and made sure I had everything in my bags. And then as we headed back to the hospital there was a rainbow. I took it as a good sign so I snapped a pic of it on my phone. Hehe. Got to the hospital about 5.45pm and they had me fill out papers and then I headed into the birthing suite. There I lay for about half an hour before someone came in and did the whole check over  and poke and prod and ten million usual questions. I had the gel inserted around 7:30 pm and then had to just lay there for a while. At this stage hubby went home because nothing would happen till the morning if it was going to work first go. It was about 10:30pm before I got taken back up to my room. I ended up in a private room too! It was great! So I had a shower and jumped into bed around 11ish and just couldn't sleep. I was so excited. I was actually very surprised because I wasn't one bit nervous. I was just so happy that it was all happening. I'd get to meet my little guy soon!! I think I finally drifted off around 12 because they said they'd some and get me at 5am so I thought I'd better at least try to get some kind of sleep. Especially seeing as how this would probably be my last night of uniterupted sleep for the rest of my life:P I didn't wake up the whole time either. At 4am I woke and had to pee, but as I got up off the bed my waters broke and I sat straight back down again and pressed the buzzer for the midwife. As soon as my waters broke I had my first contraction. Midwife came in and helped me to the bathroom where I showered and continued to gush fluid. Turns out there was a bit of meconium on the fluid but not enough to warrant and emergency ceaser. There was only a few specks. So all was ok. After my shoer they took me down to the birthing suite. I did call hubby before I went down stairs to inform him I was redy to go and he was there in warp speed time. lol. So by this time it was around 4:45am and my contrations were coming every five minutes already. Iwas dealing with them well. They were painful but not unbearable. I was hooked up to monitors and had my iv needle put in and we were all go from there. I was handling the contrations really well and I was so calm it was eary. Around 5:30am the midwife put a monitor on bubs head because they wanted to keep a closer eye on his heartrate because of the meconium thing. and by 6:30 I was seriously considering pain relief. I think it was about 6:45 when I asked for peth and so she gave me a shot of that but it didn't do anything because 15 mintues later by 7am I was ready to push. I got back up onto the bed  ( I was on a birthing ball for an hour ) and started pushing. Four pushed later at 7:13 am Angus was born. 5lb 11oz and oh so tiny. Hubby cut the cord and got the first cuddle. He was fantasic all thoughout the whole thing. So supportive. And the look on his face when he got to hold bub was the best. Such a proud dad. I ended up with two stitches internally and two externally. All in all the whole birth and labour went beautifully. The midwife couldn't believe how quickly it all went. I was amazed at myself ! I still can't believe it. I'm so happy with the whole thing. It's couldn't have gone any better. Bub was put onto my chest for skin to skin and the first thing he did was try to latch on for a feed. Amazing little man. I stayed in the hospital for two and a bit days and got to go home on the monday. We're all settling in really well and getting to kow each other. We are the happiest parents ever.
A few hours old at the hospital.


Just after we got home.




With Daddy watching the rugby.

Two weeks old


Three weeks old


Tummy time. 3 weeks.

Yesterday in his new outfit.


No comments:

Post a Comment